Monday, November 20, 2006

The Bubble

17 seconds. It lived for 17 seconds before it popped. As I counted, I stared at it and marveled at how amazing bubbles are. Liquid surrounding gas. Surface tension forming it into a sphere. Nature's way of conserving energy...

The lone bubble was a pleasant breather from my otherwise tedious task-- washing my clothes. It was perfectly round. It had specks of different colors on the thin film of liquid fluidly moving around its round body.

The bubble floated gracefully and then it was gone.

I returned to washing my clothes. Thoughts rushed through my mind. Memories of blowing bubbles with a papaya stalk and a mixture of water and Superwheel laundry soap. My lips would always itch but the fun was always worth it.

My childhood was full of those. I get scraped from running around or climbing a tree or learning to ride a bike. I get sunburned from frolicking at the beach too long. I get bumped on the head from jumping on the bed... And it didn't really matter because I had fun.

Risks were almost non-existent because consequences were always minor and temporary. I knew that whatever happens, everything will be fine (of course, scrapes and sunburned skin always healed after a few days). Though when I was a kid I already had a notion of preparing for my future (I studied hard to get good grades and saved my allowance), my childhood was essentially carefree (thanks mom and dad!).

Suddenly, my life passed through my eyes. I have come a long way from childhood. High school breezed through. I struggled through college. Work followed. Now law school (marriage and family have to wait for the next few years). Independence and growing up come with responsibilities and risks (along with small tasks like washing clothes and paying the bills. hehehe).

Life happened. And I find myself asking, have I lived it?

Has experience somehow made me jaded and too cautious? Have I been too occupied on the things to be done that I forgot to savor them? Have I been too focused on where I was going that I forgot to enjoy the journey? Have I been wishfully thinking what the future ought to be that I forgot the present?

I hope not.

The bubble reminded me to embrace life the best I can. To see the beauty of things, to take risks, to give more of myself, to work for the things I love, to persevere and enjoy the ride.

Because in the end, life is just like those 17 seconds. It floats for a while and then it pops. I would want to see and marvel at the beauty of it, before it does. #

No comments: