Sunday, October 12, 2008

Filipino Pride

The Pangkat Alab of the Ship for South East Asia Youth Program 2008 (SSEAYP) had their National Day Presentation at Bahay Tsinoy, Intramuros last night (Oct 12).

The 27 Youth Ambassadors, who will be joining other young people from different asian countries, presented to officials, families and friends, what they will be showing during their designated cultural night in their 2-month long trip around asian countries.

They presented dances and music that showcased Filipino culture, tradition and memories of 500 years.

They also had their version of the "Byahe Tayo" MTV (which features everything that's beautiful in and about the Philippines), and they presented video clips on how they know they're Pinoy ("I point with my lips", and the like), and why they are proud to be one (one said, "because Filipinos are resilient", another said "Filipinos made the jeepney from garbage and surplus materials, while another said "we are the sms capital of the world!" and another said "there's no reason not be proud").

I was amazed that these young leaders -chosen from different regions- were very talented and put up a very good performance. And they had a lot of heart.

Further, I was awed at how beautiful and ingenious our dances were. I mean-- like, how many things can you do with a piece of cloth? In one Luzon dance, cloth was twisted and put on top of the head for the "jar dance". The "padango sa ilaw" used cloth to carry lighted candles and wave it around. And of course there's the Malong dance from Mindanao. Amazing.

I was also amused that one part of the show seemed "dedicated" to E-heads songs! I guess the Eraserheads had become Pinoy pop icons.

The show made me feel so proud of the Filipino youth, of the Filipino talent, and of being Pinoy!And of course, I am so proud of my cousin Ivy (who was the best dancer there!)

Congratulations and Bon Voyage Pangkat Alab.

We are very proud of you. Raise the banner high!
---

After the show though, I walked through the cobble-stone streets of Intramuros with Kuya Butch, hoping to hail a cab home.

Lining the side of the street were dozens of homeless families. Most of them already sleeping.

My heart made a dip like in a roller-coaster ride.

Just a few minutes ago, I was filled with Filipino pride. Then suddenly I was faced with the harsh reality of the situation of most Filipino people.

I swallowed hard, and allowed my heart to silently cry out to God.

The scene reminded me again, that there is still much that needs to be done. As a young person, who believes in social justice and hopes to create positive changes in society, I tend to get frustrated because there is only so much we can do.

But again, with the passion and the hope that I saw in the young leaders that night, I know that there is also much that can be done.

I shared these thoughts with a friend and she said, "We all hope that the Philippines will rise like the phoenix."

Yes, a phoenix. Burning with fire of hope. Making the Filipino talent, ingeniuty, and goodness radiate brightly for the world to see. Go Pinoy!

*ok. Gotta back to the NSTP evaluation now... haha

No comments: