Thursday, October 02, 2008

A UP Moment

Toddlers were adorably staggering, trying to walk. Dogs happily barked. Bikers and joggers slowly passed by.

The sweet smell of grass in the air mixed with laughter and laid-back banter filled the atmosphere with relaxing energy.

It was sunday. I was sitting inside the Katipunan jeepney, waiting for it to fill up, and enjoying
the gleeful noise from the picnickers at the UP Sunken Garden.

Beside me were two students trying to sing the UP Naming Mahal. They have forgotten the lyrics and were resigned to humming the song.

I hummed along.

They looked at me and laughed.

I asked them if they wanted me to tell them the lyrics.

They said yes, please.

I sang the entire hymn. (I should know it by heart, since I've been in UP for a long long time!)

When I reached the last part "Mabuhay ang pag-asa ng bayan",

the students sang with me and raised their arms.

They cheered and thanked me.

The other people in the jeep just looked at us curiously.

I smiled.

I still smile when I think of that "UP" moment.


#

(UP Fight! Happy Centennial UP! hehe)

1 comment:

Wanderer Lady said...

UP Naming Mahal ... (it's such a wonderful song! ... still makes me cry sometimes)