Sunday, October 05, 2008

Night Whisperer

I was already sleeping the other night when I heard someone -- or something-- whisper loudly to me. As I gained full consciousness, I felt the "whisperer" just inches above my face, close enough for a kiss. When I opened my eyes, I felt a cold wind blow. And of course, nobody or nothing was there.

I was alone in my room.

I got really frightened. I was tired and sleepy but could not go back to sleep.
I sent messages to friends, hoping someone was still awake.
Two friends responded to my message after a few minutes, while others contacted me a few hours later. I am grateful for my friends' concern (thank you my friends!!!), and I am also amazed at how varied their reactions were.

One friend said "Don't think about it! We're champions!" (I wondered if she was dreaming about the Ateneo-LaSalle game. haha)

Another friend calmed me down by explaining it "scientifically". She said when we are between waking and sleeping, the brain clears out clutter. With this, the mind can play tricks on us. She told me to listen to music and relax.

Another friend's reaction was to ask "Did you lock your door?"

Another friend told me to pray and bind the spirit.

And another friend joked about it and said "Maybe it just whispered 'sweet dreams'".

I don't really know what it was -- a psychological phenomena, a spirit, or a thief/human trespasser (which is most unlikely). I don't know if I should just forget about it, laugh about it, or pray some more -- though praying some more would be a really good thing to do.

Now, my reaction is to write about it, and to vow never to watch horror films again.

Yes, I really shouldn't watch horror films since I have a very active imagination, and I have had some strange experiences (although I always discount them).

Years ago, I saw a lady in a flowing white dress pass by me when I awoke around 3 am. I was in my aunt's bedroom in Project 6. I froze and closed my eyes so tight until I fell back to sleep.

My former roommate (who also shared a bed with me) used to have visions and nightmares. Once, she told me she saw someone rise from the bed, in the space between us. Another time, she said she saw someone standing over our bed, looking at us.

I didn't really believe what I saw in Project 6 or believe my roommate. Or I refuse to, because it's scary to think about it. If seen from the perspective of science, it's scary to think that the mind can go wrong (think: schizophrenia can manifest through hallucinations. hehe).
If seen from a spiritual perspective, well... the thought of living among spirits or creatures that I don't see or understand scares me.

It's 2 a.m. now.

I should sleep now.

I shall now whisper... to the moon and to all of you... "Good night...".

I hope I won't hear something in here whisper back.

#

1 comment:

Pon said...

hehe, what i think is that kung spirit man jud to, di man gihapon ka maunsa. kahadlok ra jud ang imong kontra...