Friday, March 14, 2008

PK

My friends and I called ourselves the "losers' club". This changed when PK came and helped us out of the rut, mainly just by believing in us.

PK, or Pastor Kevin (we abbreviated our youth minister's names -- PD for Pastor Dan, Pegay for Pastor Egay) is one person who I could point to as someone who made a difference in my life, and to whom I would always be grateful.

PK was a busy man, but he was a friend who had time to listen to issues, dreams, and secrets. A friend who knew my weaknesses, but didn't judge me. A friend who celebrated small victories with me, and who sincerely praised me for my achievements. A friend who helped me believe in myself, and that I have a lot to share to the world.

I used to see him almost everyday. Wednesday student bible fellowship, Saturday choir practice, weekday meetings, Sunday church service, regular retreats, annual summer caravans. My friends and I would just hang out at the UPCYM Tambayan or at the church library and PK would just be there, with his nose buried in a book or in his work, brewed coffee and Ricoa flat tops at his side. He'd share his coffee and chocolates, engage us in interesting conversation, play the guitar and sing with us, or play a game or two (like our favorite boardgame Acquire). It was also in those 'tambay' hours that PK witnessed the blossoming friendship -- and love-- between me and Aris (though he was clueless at first! hehe). We said if ever we get married, PK would naturally officiate the wedding ceremony.

I learned a lot from PK -- from greek words to leadership skills, from bible interpretation to business strategies. He also shared his life experiences and how he overcame obstacles (one of the many stories that inspired us was how he just hitched a ride in a mango delivery truck from Abra to Manila, to enroll for college in UP Diliman. Not knowing anyone in the city, he just slept at the UP Sunken Garden*). Of course, he was far from perfect, but he tried to teach by example. PK never "wasted" any time. He was a master of multi-tasking. When he had a "spare" time, he'd read a book, or practice his guitar playing.

My friends and I eventually graduated, 'grew up', tried to live fruitful lives (are trying still), and faced more challenges (are facing still!). We try our best to apply what we have been taught, use what we have been equipped with, and share what we can to the world. PK's sermons and lectures (which were always organized and interesting) fortunately stuck like glue. To this day, I use words and tools that were taught to me by PK. Words like injunction, accountability, 5 affirmations of peace**...

I remember during our Caravan in Bohol, my friend wanted to stay behind after the caravan and continue with her vacation there. I told her to seek the 5 affirmations of peace first. PK overheard this and said in jest "Aba, may legacy na pala ako. Pwede na ako mamatay."

What sticks to me the most was the way PK never allowed us, girls, to sit in the passenger's seat when he would drive us home in his car. He said it was only Tita Belle-- his wife-- who could sit there, "di bale na magmukha akong driver" . For that and so many other ways, he taught us about love and how to show your loved one how important she/he is.

If it was not tragic, it would be romantic to think that PK died with Tita Belle, his queen, in the passenger's seat on Valentine's Day.***

They say everything happens for a reason. I don't know what was the reason for their tragic death. But their death did brought out something good-- long lost friends came for a 'sort of' reunion, and good memories came back, reminding Aris and me of happy times, of how far we have gone, and how love is always worth fighting for.

It has been exactly a month now, this is my way of letting go. The shock and grief have subsided, but when I make mental notes for my wedding, I still imagine PK officiating it.

Of course, the wedding would still be in a year or two (I hope). But when that day would come, it would be a celebration of a legacy of faith, friendship, and love.

Thanks to you PK, thank you my mentor and friend. #


* which is not a garden, but a big field which is said to be "sinking" every year
* *Spirit, Family, Community, Doctrine, Self.
**An overspeeding bus hit their car after they dropped off their kids in school. Please pray for their very young children Isabella and Carlos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Monitor de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://monitor-de-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.