Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Night Swim

I had the infinity-edge pool to myself.

I was at the Raya Garden in Paranaque, visiting my brother's family for the weekend.
When I got to their condo, my baby niece was sleeping.
She woke up with a start and cried. She cried some more when she saw me, like she didn't know me.
She looked really cute when she cried. But i decided to get out of her way, and take a swim.

The water looked inviting, yet it looked too smooth and tranquil to disturb.
The dim lights from the clubhouse made it solemn.
It matched my mood.

I took a dip. Feeling the coolness of the smooth liquid on my face, washing away my invisible tears.

I swam the entire length of the pool, loving the way the water parted as I sliced it with my arms. When I reached the other end, I closed my eyes and dived into the water, letting it engulf me. I do not hear anything except the gurgle of water around my ears,and the beating of my own heart.

I let all my breath out.I wanted to sink to the bottom of the pool.
When I ran out of air, my body struggled to the surface.
My head bobbed up above the water.
I choked and coughed.
I took a deep breath.
My nose hurt.
I wiped off the water and opened my eyes.
I looked up and saw the waxing gibbous moon.
I smiled.
I laughed**.

I kicked my feet up to the water, spread my arms and lay on my back.
And I just floated on the water and watched the clouds cover and uncover the moon.
It was a beautiful night.

When I went back to the condo, my brother prepared sushi and sashimi.
My brother, my sis-in-law, and I shared stories over delicious slices of tuna and salmon.
Baby Jury also woke up and entertained us with her smiles, gurgles and new antics (she shakes her arms when she is asked "Deal or No Deal?").
This time she decided I was her friend and let me hold her.

It was like I was holding love in my arms.

After eating, we watched a movie on DVD and had a good time.
Then when everyone slept and everything was quite, I took some time to read a book I've putting off reading for some time.

The message was of love and loving.

My eyes stung, and my heart squeezed.
I choked and coughed.
I closed my eyes.
I held my breath.
I will not struggle to the surface.
I will wait for nature to do it's job -- I know I will rise up, with my head above water.
I will breathe again.

**Note: To those who do not know, I have an affinity for the waxing gibbous. My main blog's name is The Waxing Gibbous.

No comments: