Monday, August 20, 2007

An 8-day Weekend: A Photo Essay

"Empty chairs in Malcolm Hall"
We asked for rains for our crops and general water supply. But when it rained, it POURED!
With the rains (of Typhoons Reming and Egay) came the floods. We had no classes for 4 days due to the rains! (including my Saturday class)
Add to that the Ninoy Aquino holiday (Monday) and I have no Tuesday classes... so I had an 8-day "weekend". I became super unproductive (no, I'm not proud of it), I didn't study at all. (Though I did my digests, and a lot of unnecessary stuff)

"Badminton Day"
But I did get some exercise. I played Badminton with Aris, Jing, Edwin, and Mayet. It was really fun! In cold weather, our bodies conserve heat so they don't sweat that easily (my theory only). And when you do sweat, you want to play more! Of course, my body ached afterwards. It's worth it though.



"Ahhhh....Ice-cold Coke!"
The sun finally shone brightly ALL DAY yesterday!
I spent my holiday hanging out with Aris, singing and playing the guitar.
We ate lunch at Snackaroo at Matalino St. They have delicious (and probably the cheapest @ 130 pesos only) T-bone STEAK there. It was so good! Especially that I had it with a can of ice cold coke! Ahhh... this is the life!!!!


"And rain will make the flowers grow"
I recognize that while I was enjoying my "8-day vacation", a lot of families became homeless and hungry, businesses suffered, lives were interrupted, and people became depressed due to the rains. I had my share of "rains" and I feel for them. I'm still looking for a way to reach out to the disaster "victims"(we should not use this term when we're dealing with the people lest they will believe that they are "helpless"). I was involved in relief operations, and community rebuilding and development before and I know that it's not an easy task. The immediate physical needs are easier to fill. Give them food and clothes. But it would be difficult to help them recover from the loss of a loved-one, of property, of livelihood, of community, of "self-worth" (especially when they depend on relief goods for too long).
But then, there is always hope. Hope that with the rains, the flowers (and the crops) will grow. When disasters brings destruction, hope will bring about resilience, courage and cooperation. Hope tells us that for everything that passes, something beautiful remains. And amidst the gloom, something beautiful will emerge.

And now, life goes on...
(yes, back to studying hehehe)

PHOTOS TAKEN BY BOOTS TIROL (with my new SE W810i phone)
(NOTE: The flower above bloomed beautifully at our backyard in Matahimik St yesterday but it's gone now. And the Coke photo is an unedited photo, not 3D-graphics.)

1 comment:

dovictirol said...

very nice bootsiemayo