Monday, June 04, 2007

Leaving on an Airbus 319

I left Bohol in Cebu Pacific's Airbus 319. In a classic case of "last-song-snydrome", my head was singing "Leaving on a Jetplane", which was, as usual, sang by the blind entertainers at the Tagbilaran airport during boarding time.

As usual, I had a window seat. I love to look out as the plane takes off. I see the houses, trees, and cars get smaller and smaller. (On nighttime flights, the lights from buildings and cars are a sight to see. They're like millions of stars below the sky!).

It's also my way of calming my nerves. I have a phobia of air-pockets due to a very bad experience.

At more than 30,000 feet above sea level, big boats on the blue sea look like ants. Sometimes, the plane goes between a sea and a canopy of clouds (like the photo on the left). Making me think of heaven. I also get amazed by airplanes (such a big thing flying! ;-)) and I get tickled by the fact that man has been able to fly. But when I look down, I usually try to imagine the people rushing to their work. Going somewhere. Going about their business.

Though right about now (9 am), our house in Caingget is probably still quiet as the people there are probably still sleeping. ;-)

At around 11:30, the house will rise up to a flurry of activities and by 12, my family will be eating around the dining table. Cracking jokes, sharing stories, laughing with and at each other.

Sigh. I miss them so much. I have been at this for a long long time, and I have flown away from home countless of times, but still I'm not good at this.

I look out the window now. The burst of sunlight hurts my eyes.

I close my eyes, and let the tears flow.

(Photos by Boots Tirol)

No comments: