Wednesday, June 17, 2009

AMBER

AMBER

(Short story by Boots Tirol. Part of "VERMILLION and other ‘colorful’ stories")

---

It is incorrect to say that when David saw her again, he choked.

---

He was sipping his martini, watching the sea breeze play with the white cloth draped on the cabana, his elbow casually resting on the table, when Amina sat down across him and smilingly announced her arrival with a “Tada!”


He was not so surprised to see her to elicit the gasp that made him choke on his drink. It was just that her eyes were so beautiful.


What surprised him was why he didn’t really notice them before. It was usually her smile—the smile she was wearing now – that captured his attention.


It was forty past four. The afternoon sunlight made her brown eyes so much lighter that he could clearly see her irises had dark brown streaks and tiny specks of yellow in them.


Her eyes were looking at him now, waiting for him to say something. He stared back at them. Are they hazel? No, they’re almost orange.


No, amber. He decided. Amber like sweet dark honey


“It’s impolite to stare, Dave” she said, her smile widening.


“I know... But your beauty renders me helpless,” David said, regaining his composure. He reached out for a table napkin and wiped his mouth.


She laughed gleefully. “You haven’t changed one bit! God, I missed you!” she playfully slapped his arm. “I’m so glad Dally organized this whole reunion thing. Ang galing no?”


You have not changed too. You still think I’m joking all the time. “Yeah… And you haven’t changed. The beautiful Amina... Late as usual.” David hid his smile, pausing to see her reaction.


Oi, I’m early for the dinner party naman.” She pouted.


David chuckled. “Don’t worry, I was also late. When I got here, most of the guys were already drunk.” He grinned, pointing to the empty liquor bottles at the side of the table.


“Well, better late than never.” She shrugged.


“Yeah… that’s a good motto” He teased. “Thirsty?”


“No, thanks. I had coffee on the plane.”


Naks. The jet-setter. Where did you go this time, again– Vietnam?”


Hoy, Vietnam was two years ago – was that the last time we saw each other?— Anyway, I just came back from Gibraltar.”


“Sorry I couldn’t keep track, Miss World Traveler,” he leaned towards her and lightly pinched her nose. “Gibraltar, huh? Isn’t that a rock?”


She laughed out loud. He felt a gust of fresh air swirl around his neck and under his ears. Her amber eyes sparkled when she laughed. They reminded him of refreshing iced tea on a hot summer day. God, she’s so beautiful. Was she always this beautiful?


“Earth to David!” she waved her right hand. Her eyes grew serious. “I know geography isn’t your thing, but am I as boring as Professor Quinto?”


“Sorry… It’s just that… um…” David stammered.


“What?”


“Uh… uh…” Damnit. Say something David. He cleared his throat. “Um. Are you wearing colored contact lenses?”


She chuckled. “No, oi. Why would I wear lenses when I have such beautiful eyes?” she good-humoredly batted her eyelashes.


“Oh… It’s just that I didn’t notice before that they were so uh…” Beautiful… Pretty… Captivating… “…uh… light colored.” He raised his glass to hide his reddening face.


“Well, that’s because you don’t see things under your nose!” she teasingly accused him.


He laughed. Witty. That was what she always said when he would tease her for being small and called her “little woman”. She said his being tall was a disadvantage because he was always losing his stuff. He was five foot ten. That would make a lot of things under his nose. She had been the one to remind him of his keys, his wallet, his phone, his books. She was always the one to… She was always the… He shook his head, stopping his thoughts.


He took a long sip, and he slowly put down his drink. “Not all things. Not all things,” he managed to defend himself while he absent-mindedly circled his finger around the rim of his glass.


“Yeah… not all, but you don’t notice most things…” she softly countered “… or some people… some little people,” she mumbled. She narrowed her eyes and looked away.


David looked up, sensing the change of mood. He silently followed her gaze. The tide had risen and began to destroy a few sandcastles on the beach. Three of their friends were chatting by the water’s edge while their toddlers splashed near them. The breeze was getting colder. The sun was beginning to set.


Then he looked back at her. The sunset illuminated her tanned skin, creating a reddish glow that made her look fragile yet strong. Her lips were slightly frowning, reminding him that she can be really stubborn. He smiled as he recalled their many all-night debates. Wisps of her long wavy hair escaped her ponytail. He half-expected that she would fix them up, a movement so natural which he found so elegant -- her slender arms gracefully raised to her head, her neck bend down, her fingers dexterously twisting and tying.


He felt giddy as if he had just consumed a whole bottle of champagne. He remembered feeling like this before. He remembered he had reasons why he had brushed it aside. But he could not recall any of it now. He took a deep breath and exhaled. He let his unfinished thoughts go... She was always the one. God. She was always the one.


He hesitantly reached out to gently touch her arm. “Y’know, once in a while I do notice important things,” he whispered.


She glanced back at him. Her eyes matched the approaching sunset— intense but melancholic.


She smiled weakly, “You didn’t notice the engagement ring on my finger.”

---


It is thus incorrect to say that when David saw her again, he choked. He simply could not breathe.

---


He did not move. He did not look down at her hand. He could not dare.


“Dan followed me to Gibraltar. We got back together.” She explained. “Well, you could say I came back from the ‘Rock’ with a rock” she quietly joked.


David did not laugh. His pulse was racing. Blood was drumming in his ears. What will happen if I tell her now? What if I’ll tell her now…Tell her now. “It’s now or never,” he murmured. He paused to take a deep breath…


“Huh? Well, yes. You’re right. That’s what I told myself. It’s now or never” She spoke softly and slowly. “I realized that I wasn’t getting any younger… That I should get silly fantasies out of my head…”


She looked at him and continued when he didn’t respond. “I don’t know why I’m explaining myself. But you see, getting married is always a risk... There’ll always be questions. Don’t get me wrong, Dan is a great guy and what we have is special. It’s just that… I was waiting for… I don’t know… something.” She paused. “Then I realized I can’t wait all my life. I should just go ahead and plunge, y’know…and just commit to what I have with Dan… for the rest of my life.”


David froze in his seat. Oh God. She’s the one… she’s the one… the one who’ll get away.


“Congratulations” David managed to say.


“Thank you.” She said smiling. “Though it took you more than ten minutes to say that. It’s better late than never.”


Not if it’s too late. Not if it’s too late. David sighed to himself.


He fixed his eyes on her pretty amber eyes.


She held his gaze.


David did not blink until his eyes hurt.

#

(P.S. This is a work in progress. Please do leave your comments/corrections. Thanks!)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is really nice. Came upon this story by chance (or fate maybe? I'm not sure..hmmm.). Made me hold my breath there at some point. ;-) You have a lot of talent. I know very few people who can write like this. Short but filled with meaning and emotion and a descriptive elegance that captivates the reader (well at least this reader,naks!). I hope you continue to write beautiful pieces such as this one. :-)

Boots said...

thank you edwin

Paul said...

Turn this into a short film, hehe. I like how the plot is constructed.

Boots said...

thank you paul.

BeautyBase said...

This is really superb. Came upon this consideration by prospect (or situations maybe? I'm not sure..hmmm.). Developed me store my inhaling and exhaling there at some spot. ;-)

waxing